Support to Develop National Coverage Guidelines in Ethiopia – UNICEF
The overall objective of this assignment was to develop a national guideline for coverage surveys in Ethiopia along with a capacity development plan and rollout of the capacity development plan. The specific tasks involved were:
- Orientation of FMoH on CMAM coverage survey
- Development of Coverage survey capacity building plan for stakeholders and Ethiopia guidelines for coverage survey and supporting tools developed
- Master training of R-ENCU and NGOs of coverage survey based on the newly developed guidelines
- Support of a coverage survey in one region for capacity building
- Distance support provided for the remaining 5 coverage surveys
One team member led the project with others providing support with the development of the national coverage guidelines and with training. An orientation workshop of FMoH on coverage surveys and a three-day workshop with the technical working group took place in November in Addis Ababa. Meanwhile, the first draft of the guidelines were developed and shared with the technical working group, and a national capacity building plan was developed in London in December.
Phase 2 involved one technical training in Ethiopia, followed by a field training in SNNPR region. A separate technical training then took place for NGO staff in Addis Ababa in late January. During Phase 3, regional teams did not seek the support of the Action Against Hunger UK team for coverage queries as planned. However, this time was reallocated to the refinement of the national coverage guidelines.
During the learning workshop in Phase 4, regional teams provided their inputs on the methodology after they had implemented surveys in their own regions. Their inputs helped the Action Against Hunger team make final changes to the guidelines and develop context specific tools and training packages. A finalised version of the guidelines was shared with the Federal ENCU in August 2017.
An additional set of activities were set up in August/September 2017, which involved reviewing SQUEAC reports from various regions and developing a report template and validation guidelines.
- Report from orientation workshop with government
- Finalised national coverage guidelines
- National capacity building plan
- Two reports from technical trainings for coverage surveys (one for government staff; one for NGOs)
- Final report from SQUEAC field training conducted in Hawassa Zuria woreda
- Guideline finalisation workshop report
- Review of 9 SQUEAC surveys reports and preparation of SQUEAC report and report validation guidelines
Author: Hugh Lort-Phillips, Emily Hockenhull, Nikki Williamson, Tamar Gabay